About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
Information on our facilities is available at www.covanta.com/Our-Facilities. For career opportunities, visit www.covanta.com/Careers . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The title Mobile Equipment Mechanic designates employees who, under general supervision, oversee, direct and perform various mechanical and electrical maintenance and repair work to rolling stock. May include but not limited to knowledge and prior use of mechanical, DC electrical and HVAC tools and test equipment, rigging equipment, cutting & welding equipment, mobile industrial and machine shop equipment, May include but not limited to knowledge and prior job performance related to the troubleshooting and repair of all types of gas, diesel and propane powered mobile industrial equipment, including but not limited to front end loaders, forklifts, bulldozers, excavators, manlifts, rolloff trucks, tractor/trailers. May include but not limited to knowledge and prior job performance related to the repairs and overhauls to mobile industrial equipment systems, including but not limited to engines, manual and hydraulic transmissions, fuel systems, starting and charging systems, brake systems, hydraulic systems, differentials and drive lines, HVAC systems, chassis and suspensions, and body work and painting. May include but not limited to knowledge and prior job performance related to the troubleshooting and repair of piping systems, hydraulic systems, welding and fabrication experience a plus.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS & ENVIRONMENT:
Reports to Maintenance Supervisor.
- Troubleshoot, repair and maintain drive train components of all types of gas, diesel and propane powered mobile industrial equipment. Tasks may include but not limited to weld repairs, engine rebuild/replacement, transmision replacement, differential rebuild/replacement, bearing replacement, and drive train preventative maintenance.
- Troubleshoot, repair and maintain fuel system components of all types of gas, diesel and propane powered mobile industrial equipment.
- Troubleshoot, repair and maintain starting and charging system components of all types of gas, diesel and propane powered mobile industrial equipment.
- Troubleshoot, repair and maintain hydraulic system components of all types of gas, diesel and propane powered mobile industrial equipment.
- Troubleshoot, repair and maintain HVAC system components of all types of gas, diesel and propane powered mobile industrial equipment,
- Troubleshoot, repair and maintain brake, chassis and suspension system components of all types of gas, diesel and propane powered mobile industrial equipment.
- Welding and fabrication of replacement guards, handrails, grab bars, platforms on mobile equipment and weld repairs to buckets, containers, rails and boom components.
- Involved in equipment upgrades, including replacement of equipment, modification of equipment and documentation of changes.
- Will assist other workgroups as needed to return equipment to operational status.
- Responsible to follow every safety standard or measure deemed necessary to prevent personal injury to self or co-workers. Person must observe all COVANTA SEMASS safety procedures and policies. Must
MEM- page 2
maintain self, tools, equipment and job site conditions such that they are not in violation of Federal, State or local safety regulations.
- Responsible for maintaining good housekeeping practices in assigned SSP team area and all other areas including equipment work area, break area and vehicle maintenance shop.
- Responsible to follow every environmental standard or measure deemed necessary and observe all COVANTA SEMASS environmental procedures and policies to prevent conditions of noncompliance with Federal, State or Local environmental regulations.
- Responsible to maintain equipment in a cost effective manner.
- Responsible to perform preventative maintenance assignments, identify equipment discrepancies and bring them to a supervisors attention.
- Responsible to successfully perform routine job assignments and tasks within a reasonable time frame as determined by historical performance of maintenance with little or no rework.
- Prior experience in the repair and maintenance of industrial mobile equipment prefered.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid state driver's license.
- Technical training preferred.
- Prior experience using hoisting and rigging equipment including but not limited to permanently installed bridge, monorail or jib hoists, chainfalls, com-a-Iongs, wire ropes and nylon straps is desired, hoisting license preferred.
- Prior experience using mobile industrial equipment including but not limited to manlift, forklift, extending material handler, pickup, flatbed and bobcat is desired, hydraulics license is preferred.
- Ability to read and use equipment drawings, schematics and technical manuals is preferred.
- Ability to performing welding in SMAW, GTAW, GMAW and to certify as structural welder preferred.
- Must be able to pass physical fitness test, pre-employment drug test and ability to wear full face respirator.
- Must be able to climb and work at heights, lift heavy objects and other manual labor.
- Must be able to work in all areas of the facility including confined spaces.
- Must be capable of working in extremes of heat and cold.
- Must be willing and capable to clean and prepare work area by moving any materials necessary to accomplish assigned task including but not limited to the use of shovels, rakes, hoes or mobile industrial equipment.
- Must be willing to work around chemicals, high pressure steam and volatile fuels.
- Must be available when needed at all hours, work overtime on minimal notice including continuation of work shift as necessary, accept changes to work schedule and be available to work weekends or holidays when the equipment or facility needs warrant it.