Covanta is a world leader in sustainable waste management and renewable energy. Covanta's 45 Energy-from-Waste (EfW) facilities provide communities and businesses around the world with an environmentally sound solution to their solid waste disposal needs by using waste to generate clean, renewable energy. Covanta is a listed company under the symbol CVA.
Annually, Covanta's modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely and securely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste into 9 million megawatt hours of clean renewable electricity and almost 9 billion pounds of steam that are sold to a variety of industries. Covanta's facilities also recover 400,000 tons of metal per year for recycling.
To learn more about how Covanta's facilities provide sustainable waste management for the communities it serves, visit www.covanta.com. Information on our facilities is available at http://www.covanta.com/facilities.aspx. For career opportunities, visit http://www.covanta.com/careers. Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Covanta is hiring for a Senior Electrical Engineer to be based at its corporate office in Morristown, NJ
Reviews and approves detailed design work done by outside engineering firms for new facility construction or major modifications at operating facilities. Prepares preliminary system design & layout to support new business development. Provides technical support to operating Waste to Energy facilities. Analyzes operating plant problems or equipment failures & provides corrective changes.
• Review & Approve Electrical System Design documents including:
1. One Lines
2. Three Lines
3. DC Control Schematics
4. Short Circuit & Voltage Drop Calculations
5. Coordination Studies
• Coordinate with utilities regarding interconnection & power purchase contracts.
• Coordinate with A/E equipment suppliers & contractors
• Applies experience and knowledge of electrical theory, operations and maintenance practices to solve plant electrical/power system problems;
• Assesses plant equipment condition and failure causes based upon knowledge, experience and available O&M records to develop cost effective improvements.
• Places new equipment in service to include providing on-site consulting/overview of equipment installation and preparation for service;
• Manages all electrical aspects of assigned engineering projects.
• Supports facility and Maintenance managers' efforts to reduce energy consumption, operate efficiently, and maintain reliable electrical service.
• Provides troubleshooting of the facility infrastructure and production equipment to support plant operations.
• Determines feasibility of designing new or modifying existing facilities considering costs, available space, time limitations, company planning, and other technical and economic factors.
• Prepares system layout and detailed drawings and schematics. Analyzes test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
• Independently evaluates, selects, and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, using judgment in making adaptations and modifications.
• Plans design tasks so both the design and construction will be achieved within budget constraints.
• Compares final design for compliance with contract documents.
1. Minimum Bachelor's of Science degree in electrical engineering from an accredited Institution. Professional Engineer License or willing to commit to obtain one.
2. Minimum 10 years engineering experience.
3. Must have experience with High, Medium & Low Voltage electrical power generation and distribution systems in large utility power plants or large industrial co-generation facilities. Experience in Waste to Energy facilities is preferred. Must be able to work on multiple concurrent projects with minimal supervision.
4. Requires experience with all phases of a project including preliminary conceptual system design & layout, detailed design, equipment selection & layout, construction specifications, protective relay selection, relay settings & coordination studies, equipment testing and start-up problem resolution. Experience with facility operations support is desirable.
5. Must have effective written and oral communication skills; must be able to analyze data, write technical reports, and develop work packages to implement recommendations and the ability to handle multiple assignments.
(Internal Code: *LI-COV)