About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
Information on our facilities is available at www.covanta.com/Our-Facilities. For career opportunities, visit www.covanta.com/Careers . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Covanta is looking for a responsible and hands-on individual to help ensure the proper, safe and environmentally compliant operations, maintenance and administration of a multi-faceted Covanta operated municipal solid waste (MSW) Transfer Station located in Derwood, Maryland through the management of, and interaction with, Covanta Transfer Station employees, sub-contracted operators and/or waste transporters as well as interaction with regional and corporate management and support personnel.
You will work with Transfer Station management team and employees to leverage resources and maximize efficiency of the Covanta Transfer Station and work with appropriate facility, area, regional and corporate accounting staff to ensure accurate and timely budgeting, forecasting and financial reporting of the Covanta Transfer Station. You will also develop long term strategic plans, relationships and partnerships to increase the value delivered to Covanta through the operation of the Covanta Transfer Station; operate the Covanta Transfer Station under a culture of innovation, constant improvement, and dedication to the safety of all Transfer Station personnel, customers and vendors; and engage with the Client/Facility Owner, as required, to maintain compliance with the O&M Agreement.
Position Responsibilities by percent include:
- Responsible for safe daily operation and maintenance of a Covanta Transfer Station while ensuring compliance with all local, state and federal rules, regulations, laws and permits
- Responsible for active input, communication and oversight of monthly forecast process and annual budget process for the Covanta Transfer Station assets
- Responsible for interaction with Sub contracted truck and rail transportation vendors to ensure smooth and consistent movement and processing of daily waste deliveries
- Responsible for interaction and communication with Covanta EfW facility team to ensure smooth efficient processing and return of all rail cars to ensure efficient operations of Covanta Transfer Station
- Responsible for interaction with Regional Management team and Business Management team in developing and executing long term strategic plans regarding over all presence and strategy within a specific market area - Responsible for the hiring, training, evaluation, development, and shift staffing of the facility operations team
Position Requirements are:
- This position requires an individual having at least seven (7) years' progressive solid waste experience, including progressive experience in the day-to-day operation of a state permitted solid waste transfer facility, as well as progressive experience in transfer station operating policies and procedures and environmental and permit compliance. An undergraduate degree is desirable, however hands-on operating experience and training is acceptable. HS Diploma required.
- Ability to effectively communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to effectively lead team members to effect a common goal.
- Understanding of the market impact and company interaction of Covanta Transfer Stations and other market based Covanta facilities.
- Sufficient experience and expertise to effectively work with Regional Management and Business Management teams in order to develop long term strategic plans.
- Familiarity and proficiency with Word, Excel, Power Point and other associated reporting and operating systems.